[amsat-bb:74614] AO-40 Update, 2004-01-26

On orbit 1486, the main battery voltage ran lower than expected.  This was
due in part to usage and high solar angle as mentioned previously, but even
after the passbands were shut off automatically the voltages did not come
back up as expected, in spite of apparently positive battery charge
currents.  At the beginning of the eclipse on orbit 1486 at MA =225, the
battery voltage rapidly dropped just below the S2 Tx cutoff voltage of 24.0
volts and the S2 Tx shut down. to protect the battery and IHU's.  The
eclipse ended at about MA=237, approx. 55 minutes later.  We expect the S2
Tx to start back up as programmed at MA =2 (as I type this), though it has
been known to be  "balky" before on restarts and could require manual cycling.

The command team is investigating this anomaly to determine if the main
battery may have developed a single bad (shorted) cell or if there is a
problem with the battery set voltage, solar array set voltages, or other
problem.  Until we sort this out the passbands will be off for one or more
orbits.  If the battery charge or array set points are wrong, they can be
changed.  If we have one bad ( shorted ) cell we can reset charge/trigger
points to account for this, and we have the completely redundant auxiliary
battery, if needed.  We hope to be able to work through this and correct
things without too much down time.

We'll update you here as soon as we know more.

--W4SM for the AO-40 Command Team