[amsat-bb:67299] AO-40 Update, 2003-04-13

Pictures taken today confirm that we have now reached ALON / ALAT = 51 /
20.  Magnetorquing has been turned off and we have begun drifting "down" in
ALON under the influence of the so-called mystery effect ( due to momentum
wheel magnets interacting with earth's magnetic field ).  Drift rate will
be approximately -18.2 degs / week  at the current spin rate.  This will
place us on the "other side of the sun" in approximately 4 weeks, when we
can decrease ALAT and begin chasing the sun back to 0/0.

The solar angles will begin increasing rapidly as we move backward and the
passbands will be turned off within a few days until conditions
improve.  The beacon will remain on continuously.

--- W4SM for the AO-40 Command Team