[amsat-bb:60847] AO-40 Update

***AO-40 UPDATE***

The K-Tx sessions have been discontinued due to increasing solar
angle.   We will post more detailed plans for the upcoming bad solar
alignment shortly.  The proposal currently under study is to move ALON
forward ahead of the sun in several increments to approximately ALON =
45.  When the sun approaches 45 degs at this position, we will "duck" ALAT
to provide adequate power, slow spin to maximize mystery effect (ME) and
let the ME drift us around to approximately ALON = 315 where we should
re-acquire sensors and be able to return ALAT to 0.   We can then follow
the sun back towards 0/0 over the following ~45 days.  This approach should
minimize transponder "down" time to a few weeks,  when the ALAT is not
optimal and we are drifting in ALON due to the mystery effect.   Timing of
transponder and RUDAK windows, as before, will have to be shortened and
moved to provide optimum squint.

N  QST AO-40  S2 Downlink     #=Wednesday only     2002-07-16
         MA      036   120#  128   160   200   240   036
         ---------1-----4-----3-----5-----7-----0-----1
         MB       |  *  |  *  |     |  *  |  *  |  *  |
         RUDAK    |     |     |  *  |     |     |     |
         V-Rx     |     |  *  |  *  |     |     |  *  |
         U-Rx     |  *  |     |     |  *  |  *  |     |
         Passband | UL  | VL  |     | UL2 |     |     |

M  QST AMSAT OSCAR-40                               2002 July 16
                        ALON/ALAT ~ 6/2
  Shortly we will further increase ALON to move ahead of the sun.
                *** See N-block for schedule.***
             *** Middle Beacon OFF during RUDAK ***
          The AO-40 team would like your telemetry files!
Please "zip" compress your daily telemetry files and e-mail to:
                       ao40-archive@xxxxxxxxx

--W4SM for the AO-40 Command Team