[amsat-bb:74733] AO-40 Update, 2004-01-28

At the moment we have nothing really new to report regarding AO-40, other
than that we are trying to see if observers in Europe can hear the K-Tx on
today's orbit.  This is a bit of a long shot given the less than perfect
squint angles and some really horrible snow/ice at the receiver stations,
but we are trying.  If we have 10 - 14 volts available, the IHU-1, MUX
hardware control unit, and receivers may be functional, but the S2 Tx may
not wish to start up in "cold" mode from that voltage.  It was never
designed to run below 20 volts.  We are seeing if the K-Tx will respond at
these voltages.  As mentioned before, we are sending simple machine code
commands to try to activate this hardware and switch to the auxiliary
battery.  If we have close to 10 volts available, these commands should
work.  As a safety measure, each command session ends with commands to shut
off all of the transmitters, since we would not want to leave them on line
at these low voltages.

If the main battery has us clamped at a voltage where the above will not
work, we will have to wait to see if solar angle improvements help, or if
one of the bad cells eventually goes "open".

Although we have not had time to read the bulletin board much, and we can't
claim to fully understand what has happened, it is clear that operator
practices, though not always perfect, had absolutely nothing to do with
this event.  The fact that the passbands cut off on Sunday was an example
of the kinds of safety features that we have in place to protect the
electronics on board.  There are also input AGC's and output
limiters.  AO-40 was designed to withstand all that you can throw at
it.  Although there was a lot of passband activity on Sunday, and under
really marginal conditions heavy usage could put us in transiently a
negative power budget, it is now clear that it was the failing of another
cell on the main battery that caused the passband shutdown at that time.

The main batteries consist of 20 40 amp-hour cells arranged on three of the
radial support arms inside the spacecraft. There are two packs of 7 cells
and one pack of 6 cells.  It is entirely possible or even probable that the
main batteries suffered some damage during the 400N motor event.  One clue
to this is the fact that we lost two of the three temperature sensors
attached to these packs, and since that time we have been able to measure
the temperature of only one of the three packs.  It may well be that this
was the only "normal" main battery pack.

One mystery in the telemetry is where the "energy" is going from this
battery failure.  With the exception of the "heat pipe" spike, which we
believe is not real as discussed before, there are really no changes in
temperatures anywhere over the next 15 minutes.  The answer MAY be that the
bad cells in fact had deteriorated to the point that they had very little
storage capacity left and so had little energy to dissipate.  The aux. bat.
was probably only a few percent charged at the pre-event voltage and had
little energy to contribute to the event.  The temperature on either of its
two packs does not change during this time, supporting this conclusion.

The above (except the operator practices part), is our best understanding
of things at the moment and is always subject to change.  We'll keep you
posted.

--W4SM for the AO-40 Command Team

PERSONAL NOTE:
Like my colleagues on the command team, I have lived and breathed AO-40 for
over four years.  All of us can almost mentally decode 400 bps PSK.  We
hear it in our sleep. I was watching the battery voltage telemetry at the
exact moment that the voltage dropped precipitously.  In my "day job" I
have frequently watched catastrophic events unfold in human beings, and the
feeling was EXACTLY the same.  Part of my day job is to have to make quick
decisions during times such times, decisions that can have serious
consequences.  I was instantly aware that we had a serious power event, and
I considered cutting the main battery loose and trying to run on the nearly
completely discharged and untested under load aux. battery.  However,
because I did not have a clear understanding of where the primary fault
was, I elected to watch things and try to figure out what was
happening.  The general rule of, "when in doubt wait to understand" works
most of the time...  In this case it didn't, and I'd sure like to live
those minutes over again and cut the main battery loose.  Hindsight is
always 20-20.  Of course, if it had crashed anyway, then I'd really be
beating myself up.

If it's at all possible to bring AO-40 back, we will.  If the voltage is
clamped low and there is no other damage, we may end up waiting a long time
for a cell to "open", hopefully not as long as for AO-07.  ..or it may
happen today.  No success for even weeks or months does not mean that we
won't eventually be successful.  We will sure keep trying.

Several of you have written very nice notes of support.
Thank you.