[amsat-bb:66384] AO-40 Update, 2003-02-23

Two tests were performed on AO-40 today.

The first was a long shot and involved listening for the S1 transmitter
exciter stage using Günter Wertich's EME dish.  Nothing was heard during a
20 MA window of testing in which the S1 Tx was connected to the middle beacon.

The second test involving the S-band receivers was completely
successful.  Extremely strong downlink signals were possible using S-band
uplink to K-band downlink.   Charlie (G3WDG) phoned me and I heard
beautiful downlink signals from his ~5 watt uplink to S1.  S2 was also
active, but because of its higher, less common frequency (2446 MHz), it may
not have been tested.  The S1 Rx uses the S1 Tx high-gain dish, and the S2
Rx uses the 5 turn helix used by the S2 Tx, so signals would not be as
strong through S2 at low squint.  More information will undoubtedly be
posted on this by the participants, but special thanks to Charlie (G3WDG),
Mike (N1JEZ),  and Dom (I8CVS), and any others who participated in this
successful test.

The S1 Rx can certainly be listed as fully functional.  We will await
further testing/info. on the S2 Rx.

--W4SM for the AO-40 Command Team